Compliments and complaints

We welcome your feedback as it helps us improve our services.

Your feedback might be a compliment, a complaint or a suggestion. Whatever it is, your feedback is important and we are listening. It’s important that you share your feedback with us as soon as you can.

If you are giving a compliment or feedback, we will ensure this reaches the area or person you are referring to.

If your feedback is a complaint we will aim to resolve it as soon as possible as detailed below. If you are making a privacy complaint, please refer to the privacy policy and complaint form on the Privacy Policy page. If you want to make a complaint about serious misconduct or corruption, please read the below section on Protected Disclosures before submitting a complaint to Parks Victoria.

How to submit a compliment, complaint or feedback

  • Email providing as much detail as possible and setting out the desired outcome.
  • Call 13 1963 within Australia (or +613 6145 0211 internationally).
  • Speak to any Parks Victoria employee in person.
  • Write to us at:

    Level 10, 535 Bourke Street

    Melbourne Victoria 3000


  • If you are unable to make the complaint yourself, we will accept your complaint from an authorised representative.
  • If you need help with English, Parks Victoria Information Centre operators are trained to use telephone interpreters and will be able to take your call.
  • If you are deaf, or have a hearing impairment or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service on 133 677 or visit
  • If your complaint is about improper conduct by Parks Victoria officers, it may be a protected disclosure – please read the below advice on Whistleblower reporting (Protected disclosures).


Complaints process

What we do first

The person to whom you made the complaint will attempt to resolve the issue at a local level. If the issue is resolved, the staff member will contact you to ask if you would still like to lodge an official complaint. If you wish to make an official complaint, we will assess the complaint, question relevant officers, read any relevant documents and assign a complaints officer.


We expect to respond to you within one month.

Your responsibilities

In making your complaint you are responsible for:

  • providing us with a clear explanation of the problem
  • providing us with suggested solutions you are seeking (if any)
  • giving us all the relevant information you have or know at the beginning
  • telling us new facts or letting us know if you no longer want help
  • co-operating with us by dealing only with the Complaints Officer
  • treating our staff with respect and courtesy.


If you feel at any stage that there is further clarification you can add to your complaint, please contact the nominated Complaints Officer. Likewise, if the Complaints Officer feels that your complaint is unclear or they require more information from you, they may telephone or email you to discuss.

Our responsibilities

Parks Victoria is responsible for:

  • handling your complaint professionally, efficiently and fairly
  • keeping you informed of our progress
  • giving you reasons for our decisions
  • treating you with respect and courtesy.


When a complaint takes longer to deal with

If our initial inquiries do not provide a satisfactory answer or reveal a bigger issue we will let you know and advise you of a revised time frame. It can take more time if we need to: 

  • inspect large volumes of information
  • conduct interviews
  • visit sites.


Escalating complaints

If you are dissatisfied with the response you may request for your complaint to be escalated to a senior officer at Parks Victoria.

If you have escalated the complaint and are still not satisfied with the response, you can contact an external agency, such as the Victorian Ombudsman.

Whistleblower reporting (Protected disclosures)

The Protected Disclosure Act 2012 enables people to make disclosures about corrupt or improper conduct by public officers and public bodies - including Parks Victoria, our Board members and our employees. The act aims to ensure openness and accountability by encouraging people to make disclosures and protecting them when they do.

Improper or corrupt conduct involves substantial:

  • mismanagement of public resources; or
  • risk to public health or safety or the environment; or
  • corruption.


The conduct must be criminal in nature or a matter for which an officer could be dismissed.

Whistleblower reporting (Protected disclosures) can be made by contacting the Independent Broad-Based Anti-Corruption Commission (IBAC) Victoria -Level 1, North Tower, 459 Collins Street, Melbourne Victoria 3000 or via

For a full description of improper or corrupt conduct, protected disclosures and the associated processes, please refer to the IBAC website.

Please note that Parks Victoria is not able to receive Whistleblower reporting (Protected disclosures).

Parks Victoria has established procedures for the protection of persons from detrimental action in reprisal for making a protected disclosure involving Parks Victoria or its employees.

You can find out more about Parks Victoria’s procedure on Protected Disclosure below.

Parks Victoria’s Protected Disclosure commitment and role

Parks Victoria’s commitment

Parks Victoria is committed to eliminating corruption and improper conduct from its workforce. Parks Victoria is also committed to training its staff so there is a clear understanding of appropriate standards of conduct. It is also committed to holding staff to account if behaviours fall below those standards.

Parks Victoria’s role

For the purposes of the Protected Disclosure Act 2012:

  • Parks Victoria is a public body and its staff are public officers; but
  • Parks Victoria not a body that is empowered to receive protected disclosures.

That is, Parks Victoria and its board members and employees can be the subject of a protected disclosure.

Parks Victoria employees can make a protected disclosure, as can members of the public.

Parks Victoria does not have a formal role in assessing conduct reported to IBAC and determined to be a protected disclosure.

Parks Victoria may need to provide welfare for protected disclosers and others involved in an investigation undertaken by IBAC or the Ombudsman.

Parks Victoria does from time to time, receive complaints or information regarding improper conduct by it or its staff via correspondence, phone calls, emails, or in person by a staff member or a member of the public.

Referral to the IBAC

Parks Victoria will refer the complainant directly to IBAC if it appears to be a complaint about improper or corrupt conduct. Parks Victoria’s Chief Executive can refer corrupt conduct to IBAC for investigation.

IBAC will then decide if the disclosure is a protected disclosure and if the matter warrants investigation. It may also refer the matter to the Ombudsman for investigation.

Parks Victoria can undertake its own investigations

The Protected Disclosure regime does not preclude Parks Victoria from:

  • undertaking its own investigations into what might constitute corrupt conduct, or
  • referring a matter to the police if it involved potentially criminal conduct.

Your rights and responsibilities

What to do if you observe improper conduct?

If you observe a person or an organisation engage in an act that fits within the definition of serious improper conduct, you may report it directly to IBAC.


If an employee becomes aware or suspects that an individual has made a protected disclosure, they must keep the identity of that person confidential. They must also not take any detrimental action against that person. The taking of detrimental action can be a criminal offence.

Parks Victoria may be requested to assist IBAC or the Ombudsman in an investigation. All information pertaining to the investigation must be kept confidential. Breaching the confidentiality can be a criminal offence.

Any records relating to a protected disclosure, a discloser or an IBAC or Ombudsman investigation, must be kept confidential and kept secure.

No detrimental action

There are statutory remedies to prevent detrimental action against anybody making a disclosure.

Further queries

All queries concerning the information contained in this page should be directed to:

Chief Legal Counsel

Parks Victoria

Level 10, 535 Bourke Street

Melbourne VIC 3000

By using our site you accept that we use and share cookies and similar technologies with certain approved third parties. These tools enable us to improve your website experience and to provide content and ads tailored to your interests. By continuing to use our site you consent to this. Please see our Privacy Policy for more information.