Parks and reserves application guidelines

Parks Victoria manages some of Victoria’s most spectacular public spaces including National Parks, State Parks, Crown Land Reserves, Port Phillip and Western Port, Yarra and Maribyrnong Rivers and a variety of Metropolitan Parks.

The following information outlines the application process and provides guidelines which must be considered when organising events on Parks Victoria Parks and Reserves.

Who should submit a Parks and Reserves event application?

An application should be completed by persons who propose to conduct an event or organised activity on Parks Victoria managed land.

An organised activity refers to;

  • Any activity such as a competition, tournament, festival, concert, promotion, fundraiser, picnic/gathering/private event or celebration, or any other similar event.
  • Any activity which includes any infrastructure, animals, vehicles, indigenous heritage sites or commercial activity (soliciting or collecting money, advertising, displaying signage).
  • Any activity which involves;
  • 30 or more people in a National Park or Forest Reserve
  • 100 or more people in Crown Land Reserves

Upon receipt of your event application, an Activation Agreements officer will contact you regarding your request.

Please note: Submitting an event application does not guarantee event approval.


Permit fees are applicable to events held within the Parks Victoria estate (public land and waterways). See the event fee schedule.

Extreme weather clause

In the event of extreme weather conditions, a planned event may be cancelled by Parks Victoria in the interest of public safety.

Required documents to be submitted with the application

  • A Site Plan and Infrastructure list detailing all types and structures, equipment, barriers, vehicles and selling locations:
    • Event sitemap (hand drawn/incomplete maps will not be considered).
    • Identify the specific location within the park or reserve managed by Parks Victoria where you would like to hold your event on the map,
    • Indicate location of all infrastructure, facilities, vendors, entertainment, and parking.
  • Include detailed course map for events such as cross-country running or mountain bike riding with start and finish locations.
  • A Certificate of Currency (CoC) with a minimum of $20m public liability insurance coverage is to be supplied noting Parks Victoria as an interested party.
  • Full programme/running sheet of the event including bump in/bump out details.
  • Risk Management Plan, and
  • Safety Management Plan (SMP), if the event is operating under the rules/safety management plan of a national or state recognised body approved by the Safety Director.

It is a requirement that all documents listed above are submitted to avoid denial of your application.

Other information

Depending on the scale and nature of your event, the following documentation may also be required:

  • Provision of a cancellation procedure (refer to Question 32) within the application, attach it as a separate document.
  • If your event involves children, please consider your obligations under the Working with Children Act 2005. Development of a child protection plan would be recommended.
  • Liquor Licence. The sale and consumption of alcohol within an event undertaken on Parks Victoria estate must be approved, after which the event organiser may need to obtain a liquor licence from the Victorian Department of Justice and abide by conditions of the permit. For more information, please refer to the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation website.
  • A Noise Management Plan outlining mechanisms to ensure compliance with State Environment Protection Policy (Control of Music Noise from Public Premises) No N-2.  For more information please refer to the Environment Protection Authority.
  • Occupancy Permits for a Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) issued by Building Commission for prescribed temporary structures. This document confirms your event complies with the Building Act and must be displayed at all times during your event.
  • Pedestrian and Crowd Management Plan.
  • Public Performance of Sound Recordings (PPCA Licence) for events that involve the playing of sound recordings or music videos in public.  For more information please refer to the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia website.
  • Resident Notification Plan. A notification letter to residents typically requested for events involving road closures and amplified noise. Parks Victoria staff will advise during the planning phase if this will be a requirement for your event.
  • Signage Plan for directional, promotional, emergency, flags, banners and VMS.
  • Traffic Management Plan (TMP) prepared in consultation with VicRoads, local Council, and Parks Victoria. The TMP must include parking, signage, signage distances, method of communication and traffic controller details and must be prepared by a qualified traffic management company engaged to provide traffic management services for your event.
  • Victoria Police Major Events Unit notification. Notify Victoria Police with full details of the event at least 2 weeks before the event.
  • Waste Management Plan for collection and cleaning.


If the use of drones is proposed at your event, the following information must also be submitted:

  • Aircraft Operations Plan including:
    • Take off and land zone;
    • Proposed flight path;
    • Proposed exclusion zone; and
    • Proposed location of spotters.
  • Factsheets of all proposed aircraft;
  • Remotely Piloted Aircraft License for all proposed pilots;
  • Operator’s certificate;
  • Operator’s certificate of currency of public liability insurance;
  • Job Safety Analysis (JSA); and
  • CASA area approval (if required).


Fireworks will only be considered for events that are of state, national or international significance. If the use of fireworks is proposed, the following information must be submitted also:

  • Event Map detailing fireworks fall-out zones showing minimum separation distances for loading/transportation and detonation of fireworks in accordance with the Dangerous Goods (Explosive) Regulations 2011 (reg 155).
  • WorkSafe approval notification,
  • Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) notification and approval,
  • Notification of Intention to discharge fireworks,
  • Job safety analysis (JSA),
  • Pyrotechnician licence/s, and
  • Certificate of Currency from fireworks provider.

Application form

Download the parks and reserves event application form (DOCX), complete and submit to

All parks and reserves event applications received by Parks Victoria have a minimum eight-week time frame from receipt of all required documentation to ensure that we appropriately manage all applications received and that we progress the associated approvals in line with legislative and regulatory requirements.

Multiple dates and parks can be nominated in one application.

Upon receipt of your application, an Activation Agreements officer will contact you regarding your request. Please note:  Submitting an application does not guarantee approval.

For further information call Parks Victoria’s Information Centre on 13 1963.

By using our site you accept that we use and share cookies and similar technologies with certain approved third parties. These tools enable us to improve your website experience and to provide content and ads tailored to your interests. By continuing to use our site you consent to this. Please see our Privacy Policy for more information.