A great way to experience Victoria’s State and National Parks is with a Licensed Tour Operator (LTO). Licensed tour operators are experts in conducting organised, recreational activities and more. If you want to try something new or meet some like-minded people on your next visit to a park, contact a licensed tour operator.

If you are interested in conducting organised tours or recreational activities on Parks Victoria and Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) managed estate, please read the below information to learn how to register for a licence.


Check our COVID-19 update for the latest information, and follow the health advice provided by the Department of Health and Human Services.

Who is required to hold a licence?

A tour operator and activity provider licence is required for any person or business conducting an organised tour or recreational activity, including training, for profit on public land in Victoria.

Parks Victoria issues and administers tour operator licensing on public land in Victoria on behalf of Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) including on Victorian state waters and inland waterways.

For more information on tour operators and activity provider licence requirements (including the relevant Policy, Legislation and Fact Sheets,) go to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) website.



Tour operators and activity providers are required to pay fees for:

  • Annual Licence Fee
  • Visitations (use fees)

The Annual Licence fee applies to all licence applications received within each financial year (pro-rata fees are not available). For a standard licence greater than one year the fee can be invoiced as an upfront fee (for the total amount – for the greatest saving on annual licensing fees) or on an annual basis.

The visitations (use fee) is the numbers of persons who participate in tours and activities (per person per day). Regulations prescribe an annual cap on the total visitation (use fees) a tour operator is required to pay. Visitations are invoiced on a quarterly or annual basis.


2021-22 Fee schedule



2021-22 fee

Annual fee - standard one year licence


Annual fee - standard licence greater than 1 year (per year)            


Adult visitation (use fee)  


Child visitation (use fee) including student


*multiply this fee by the number of years you wish to apply for.

Further fee structure information is available on the Tour operator fees fact sheet.



Anyone planning on conducting organised tours or recreational activity for profit will need to apply for a licence before commencing any commercial activities on public land.

If you are a new applicant, please email ltolicensing@parks.vic.gov.au to schedule a 15 minute phone call with a Tourism Partnerships Officer to discuss your application.

Existing operators wanting to submit a tour variation should prepare the required supporting documentation an submit as part of the 2021/2022 licensing year application process.

Anyone planning on conducting organised tours or recreational activity for profit will need to apply for a licence before commencing any commercial activities on public land.

You can apply by undertaking the following steps.

Step 1 - Preparation: undertake detailed planning in relation to the parks you wish to visit and what activities you wish to offer.

Once the plan is finalised, you can undertake the application on ParkConnect. When applying, the more detail you can provide, the faster the application process will be (i.e. provide supporting documentation – maps, brochure).

As part of the application process, you will need to supply a Certificate of Currency for Public Liability Insurance to the value of $20,000,000. Please review this checklist and example of an acceptable Certificate of Currency (public and products liability insurance).

If you are wanting to apply for a 5 or 10-year licence you will need to supply a certificate of tourism accreditation. Further information about applying for a multiple year licence can be found by reading the Longer term licences fact sheet (PDF).

Before applying please ensure you have prepared the following documentation:

Step 2 - Registration: New operators will need to register on ParkConnect before they can proceed to the application step. Access the registration sign up page.

Tip: Watch the How to register video.

Step 3 - Application: you can submit your full application or re-licence online via ParkConnect.

To apply or reapply:

  • Sign in to ParkConnect.
  • Click on Tour Operator.
  • Go to My applications/agreements to commence the process.
    • New operators will need to create an account prior to submitting an application (see Step 2).
    • Existing operators please click on the blue OPP-000##### to commence the re-licence process. Most of the detail will be pre-populated.

Parks Victoria generally takes between 6 and 8 weeks to process an application depending on the complexity of the application.

Note: Parks Victoria is unable to finalise an incomplete application.



Accidents can happen while operating and it is a requirement of the licensee to submit an Incident response form by email to LTOlicensing@parks.vic.gov.au as an acknowledgment of the incident.

Useful links

By using our site you accept that we use and share cookies and similar technologies with certain approved third parties. These tools enable us to improve your website experience and to provide content and ads tailored to your interests. By continuing to use our site you consent to this. Please see our Privacy Policy for more information.