Wilsons Prom partial closure
Saturday 21 March, 2020
Parks Victoria will be closing accommodation and camping at Tidal River within Wilsons Promontory National Park from Sunday 22 March, and limiting the number of day visitors to the national park from Monday 23 March 2020.
These measures follow state-wide instruction from the Victorian Chief Health Officer that no public gatherings of 500 or more people occur to further public safety to protect visitors, volunteers, customers and staff from the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
The following measures will be enacted at Wilsons Promontory National Park until further notice:
- Overnight accommodation and campsites at Tidal River will be closed from Sunday 22 March, no further bookings will be taken, and all existing bookings will be fully refunded.All current guests will be asked to cancel or leave on Sunday 22 March, following the standard checkout procedure.
- Lighthouse accommodation, and remote camping sites throughout the park will remain open subject to standard operating procedures.
- The park will be open to day visitors between 7:00am and 7:00pm daily, with a limit of 1000 day visitors within the park at any one time. Traffic control will be in place.
- All day visitors will be actively encouraged to disperse across the park and beaches and adhere to social distancing guidelines.
- The Visitor Centre will close but will operate from an outdoor pop up outside the centre.
- Key visitor nodes including Mt Oberon will remain open, and the Mt Oberon Shuttle will continue to operate on the current schedule.
- Toilets at key visitor nodes, Tidal River and the Terrace and Norman toilet blocks will remain open, but all other toilet blocks will be closed.
- The Tidal River General Store will remain open selling only pre-packaged food and supplies.
- The Tidal River Café/Take Away and the cinema will be closed.
Additional traffic control measures, signage, security and staff will be in place across the park to assist visitors.
Due to the rapidly changing nature of the situation, Parks Victoria will continue to monitor day visitor rates with the possibility of further changes, pending advice from health authorities.
For up-to-date information, visit the Department of Health and Human Services website at: www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
For more information on affected visitor sites visit www.parks.vic.gov.au/COVID19
Quotes attributable to Parks Victoria CEO Mr Matthew Jackson:
“We have made the difficult decision to close camping and overnight accommodation at Tidal River in Wilsons Promontory National Park from Sunday 22 March 2020, to ensure the health and safety of visitors, staff and guests.”
“The Prom is still open to a restricted number of day visitors from Monday 23 March – and people with overnight hiking bookings and staying in remote campsites throughout the park are able to continue enjoying this beautiful corner of the state.”
“We have a complete list of bookings and will provide full refunds as quickly as possible.”
“Many other parks remain open across the state and are a great way to get into nature and stay healthy–, but guests must adhere to social distancing guidelines and health advice from the Victorian Chief Health Officer.”