Buchan Caves Reserve Bushfire Recovery
Parks Victoria and the Gunaikurnai Land and Waters Aboriginal Corporation (GLaWAC) are rebuilding visitor facilities at Buchan Caves Reserve, following major bushfire damage in summer 2019/2020. Parks Victoria and GLaWAC are developing concept plans to improve the camping and roofed accommodation facilities, along with the restoration of the cave entrance buildings. The recovery work will allow visitors to enjoy the site again with improved facilities.
What is being delivered
- Upgrades to camp kitchen
- New interpretation facilities for cultural heritage
- Repairs to toilets
- Reconstructing tour guide facilities and access to walking tracks and lookouts
- Additional hazardous tree management works.
- Planning is underway for the construction of new roofed accommodation at Buchan Caves Reserve.
Recent completed works include
- Rebuilding of two bridges to provide vehicle access to the currently closed Fairy Cave
- Repairs to Royal Caves toilet block
- Removed hazardous trees
- Decontamination works
- Repairs to BBQs and park furniture
- Repairs to entrance retaining wall.
Expected project duration and key dates
Works commence – mid 2020
Works complete – late 2022
$1.7 million insurance funds
$2 million project funding
For more information on what there is to see and do visit the Buchan Caves Reserve park page.