Cowes Jetty Improvement Works
Project duration & key dates
Works commence – June 2020
Works complete – May 2021
Department of Transport
Works scheduled will include
- Repairs to concrete support piles (above water)
- Asphalt renewal along the jetty walkway
- New hand railing along the eastern side for improved safety
- Lowered northern low-landing, allowing better low tide access
Works already complete
- Strengthened jetty cross heads to increase load capacity and reinstate emergency vehicle access
- Upgraded lights to solar lighting
- Replaced hand railing along western side of the jetty
- Renewed capping along both sides of the jetty
Access to the jetty
- Cowes Jetty will remain open throughout the works, as improvements are primarily focused under the jetty.
- Fishing may continue from the jetty head while works occur. Anglers may experience regular disruptions if fishing from the jetty approach.
- Access may be limited for a short period during asphalt works. Further information will be provided when asphalt works occur.
Other disruptions during works
- Ferry services will continue to operate throughout the works. Please see Western Port Ferries website for timetables, https://westernportferries.com.au/.
- A fenced work site will be established at the entrance to the jetty, in front of the kiosk. This area is closed to public access.
- It may be noisy while works are underway. Noise will be restricted to site working hours.
Parks Victoria is the Local Port Manager for Port Phillip, Western Port and Port Campbell, with the three local ports combined receiving approximately 80 million visits a year, and include 263,000 hectares of waterway, marine protected areas, channels, piers and jetties, moorings and aids to navigation.