Cape Conran Coastal Park Bushfire Recovery
Parks Victoria is restoring visitor facilities at Cape Conran following major bushfire damage in summer 2019/20.
The recovery work includes rebuilding accommodation, campground and visitor facilities, installing a drinking water connections to Banksia Bluff campground and consideration of a new shared-use path between Marlo and Cape Conran.
These essential improvements will enhance visitor enjoyment of the park and providing an economic benefit to the local communities.
For information about biodiversity impacts and other bushfire recovery projects, visit our Bushfire Recovery landing page.
What is being delivered
- Construction of new roofed accommodation
- Rebuilding of the popular activity/education centre
- Construction of a drinking water and wastewater connection
- Consideration of a shared-use path from Marlo to Cape Conran
- Construction of East Cape boardwalk
- Reinstatement of remaining walking tracks and infrastructure
- Rebuilding the Office and staff facilities
- Vegetation regeneration management
- Improved accessible access and facilities
- Rebuild staff accommodation
- Ongoing hazardous tree management
- Ongoing weed and pest animal control.
Completed works include
- Community consultation to aid planning of new roofed accommodation is complete. For more information, visit Engage Victoria.
- Reinstatement of bore water and electricity supplies
- Reconstruction of beach accesses at East Cape, Banksia Bluff campground and Salmon Rocks
- Repairs to toilets and picnic facilities
- Removal of hazardous trees
- Removal of burnt infrastructure, asbestos and contaminated materials
- Extensive clean-up of the day visitor, campground and accommodation areas for reopening
- Replacement of signage and repair of visitor information facilities
- Repairs to remaining four cabins and lodge for reopening to visitors
- Rebuild of toilet amenities
- Reinstatement of Banksia Bluff walking tracks and infrastructure
- Installation of additional campfire BBQs through the campground
- Extensive hazardous tree removal
- Extensive weed and pest animal control
- Rebuild of works depot
- Installation of temporary operational facilities to support staff
- Reinstated retail offer at Bansika Bluff office for supply of firewood, ice and gas
- Upgrade of beach shower facilities.
Victorian Government Gippsland Tourism Recovery Package: $3.5 million
Victorian Government bushfire recovery funding: $13.1 million
Approximately $9 million insurance funds
For more information on what there is to see and do at Cape Conran Coastal Park, please visit the Cape Conran Coastal Park page.