Olinda Precinct Project Stage One
Works to build the new and improved netball courts and cricket practice nets are in progress:
- The netball courts are nearing completion; concrete has been poured, fencing and a new shelter have been installed, and line marking and installation of the acrylic surface on the new court will be completed in December.
- The concrete slab for the cricket practice nets, storage shed and shelter has been poured, the fencing and frames are in place, and the synthetic grass has been applied. The storage shed and soft-netting are expected to be completed in December.
The project timeline is subject to on-ground and construction industry conditions.
Last updated: December 2023
This project is being delivered on Wurundjeri Country.
The former Olinda Golf Course is located in the Dandenong Ranges, between the Dandenong Ranges Botanic Garden and R. J. Hamer Arboretum, 50 kilometres east of Melbourne.
The Olinda Precinct Plan was developed in consultation with the community, with the aim of transforming the site into a 34-hectare open-space site for recreation.
We’re now delivering the Olinda Precinct Plan to provide more opportunities for the community to connect with nature and make the most of this fantastic location.
Stage one of the Olinda Precinct Project is providing more opportunities for visitors to get active in nature, and is being delivered in sections:
Nature-based playscape (completed July 2019)
Designed for children and families of all ages and abilities, a new nature-based playscape was completed in July 2019, along with new barbecues, picnic facilities, shelters, seating and a new toilet block. A dedicated dog-off lead area and a series of walking trails were also constructed.
A flat open grass area with walking paths, suitable for a market, events space and other recreation was completed in June 2020.
Environmental and cultural heritage assessments will inform exactly where, when and how components of the project are delivered.
Olinda Precinct Project Stage 1: Netball courts
This project involves refurbishing the existing netball court and constructing a new netball court, as well as building supporting infrastructure including lights and shelter. These images show the construction progress.
Olinda Precinct Project Stage 1: Cricket practice nets
The project involves building four new cricket practice nets, a storage shed and a shelter beside the oval at Olinda Recreation Reserve. These images show the construction progress.
Visitors to the Olinda Precinct and Dandenong Ranges Botanic Garden will have more opportunities to participate in community sport, connect with nature, and enjoy time in the park with friends and family of all ages and abilities.
The projects being undertaken at the Olinda Precinct will ensure native vegetation is maintained. Sports users will benefit from shade from the surrounding trees and the aesthetic of the natural environment around them during practice and games.
Three phases of community consultation were undertaken during the development of the Olinda Precinct Plan and we’re now delivering on what we heard from the community through this process.
The new facilities at the Olinda Precinct aim to provide more opportunities for people to get active in nature through community sport and a place for families and friends to meet, play, picnic and connect to the natural surroundings in beautiful Olinda.
The Victorian Government has invested $7.67 million to deliver the stage one works at the Olinda Precinct.
Environment and cultural heritage management
Parks Victoria have an approved Cultural Heritage Contingency Plan issued via our Managing Country Together Team, to ensure that any Aboriginal cultural heritage is managed carefully and appropriately if discovered during works.
Who are we working with?
Sport and Recreation Victoria
Yarra Ranges Council
Works to construct the new and upgraded netball and cricket facilities at the Olinda Recreation Reserve have started. During this time, there will be some changes to public access and parking, including:
- Access to the existing cricket nets at the eastern end of the reserve will be closed.
- There will be reduced car parking available.
- The main entrance to the Reserve will be closed. Visitors can still access the netball courts and amenities via the Georgian Road.
For more information contact the Parks Victoria team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 13 1963.
For updates on this project and other news from the area, subscribe here.
- October 2023 - Community update newsletter
- Project update April 2023 - Construction starts at Olinda Recreation Reserve
- Project update February 2023 - Better sporting facilities coming soon to Olinda Precinct
- Media release 15 July 2022 - New sports facilities on the way for Olinda
- Olinda Precinct Community Update May 2022
- Media release 19 July 2019 - Olinda welcomes new nature-based playspace
- Olinda Golf Course Precinct Plan (April 2017)
- Olinda Precinct Project
- Chelsea Australian Garden at Olinda project
- Olinda Precinct Stage 2 project page
- Olinda Precinct upgrades Engage Victoria page
- RJ Hamer Arboretum park page
- Dandenong Ranges Botanic Garden park page
What works are being completed as part of the Olinda Precinct Stage 1 project?
We are refurbishing the existing netball court and constructing a new netball court, supporting infrastructure including lights and shelter, and four new cricket practice nets.
In 2019, an all-abilities nature-based playscape was completed, along with new barbecues, picnic facilities, shelters, seating and a new toilet block. A dedicated dog-off lead area and a series of walking trails were also constructed.
In 2020, a sporting oval and Olinda Green were completed, featuring a flat open grass area with walking paths, suitable for a market, events space and other recreation.
Why are you upgrading the netball and cricket facilities at the Olinda Recreation Reserve?
We're delivering new and refurbished netball courts and cricket nets at the Olinda Recreation Reserve, to upgrade the existing facilities and provide more opportunities for the community to connect, get active and participate in sport.
Will the construction of the new netball court and cricket net refurbishment have an impact on the netball, cricket or football competition seasons in 2022 and 2023?
We are working closely with Yarra Ranges Council to ensure impacts (if any) to the sporting calendar are kept to a minimum. We will work with Yarra Ranges Council to communicate with local sporting groups about any potential impacts.
How many cricket nets will be available once construction is complete?
There will be four public practice wickets.
What other works are happening as part of the implementation of the Olinda Precinct Plan?
There are a number of exciting works completed and planned to uplift the Olinda Precinct, including:
- Olinda Precinct Stage 2: Stage two will include further improvements to the site and visitor experience, including better carparking, drainage, access pathways and replacing the former golf clubhouse with a new food and beverage offering and new toilets. Find out more about these works.
- Chelsea Australian Garden at Olinda
Phillip Johnson’s re-creation of the Chelsea Flower Show award-winning ‘Australian Garden’ exhibit is complete and now open at the Dandenong Ranges Botanic Garden. The new garden is 20 times the size of the original Chelsea Flower Show build, converting a section of the former Olinda Golf Course into a stunning botanic garden, supporting biodiversity and habitat creation for native plants and wildlife. Find out more.
How can I stay up-to-date with project progress?
You can subscribe for updates on the Olinda Precinct project.
Who can I contact for more information?
If you have questions or want to learn more about a project, you can call the Parks Victoria team on 13 19 63 or email us at email@example.com.