Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
Declaration of boating activity exemption and exclusion zone - LSV VSRL Senior Surf Boat Carnival
LSV VSRL Senior Surf Boat Carnival
Date/time of event:
8:00 am - 3:00 pm 27 November 2021
Port Campbell Bay
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Port Campbell Bay, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Life Saving Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the LSV VSRL Senior Surf Boat Carnival are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 meters of the water’s edge
4. Clause 4(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of a wharf, jetty, slipway, diving platform or boat ramp
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 152.2 of Schedule 152 - Port Campbell Bay subject to provisions of Clause 2 (speed limits & safety distances)
6. Clause 152.4 of Schedule 152 - Port Campbell Bay subject to provisions of Clause 4 (speed limits & safety distances)
Marine Safety Regulations 2012
7. Regulation 96(2) – vessel master must not operate on coastal waters unless vessel equipped with PFD for each person onboard
8. Regulation 100(1) – person must wear a PFD of type specified at all times when underway on coastal waters
9. Regulation 104(1) – vessel master must not operate the vessel unless persons onboard when underway wear a PFD.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 6 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from 1 to 6 in the above list for the duration of the event.
- Masters of PWC rescue vessels are only exempt from items 7 & 9 for the duration of the events when retrieving or rescuing a person without a PFD from the water.
- Masters of IRB and PWC rescue vessels involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event.
- Surf boat competitors are only exempt from 7 to 9 above for the duration of each event, provided the Surf Hazard Rating (SHR) is of a value no greater than 12. If the SHR is 13 or higher, the exemptions will apply subject to the following conditions:
- Competitors must wear helmets;
- There must be two IRBs operating to follow the surf boats the entire length of the course;
- Each IRB must be equipped with rescue tubes;
- There must be officials on the shore to monitor the event and communicate with the IRBs via radio; and
- LSV must carry out a SHR assessment for each event.
- Operators and occupants of vessels propelled by paddle or oar are exempt from PFD wearing requirements and the carriage of specified safety equipment whilst within visual range of a staffed lifesaving facility or flagged area, as per the Exemptions for Life Saving Victoria vessels in Exemption Notice 1.
- Masters of mechanically powered LSV vessels up to and including 4.8 metres in length (other than personal watercraft) are exempt from the carriage of specified safety equipment whilst within visual range of a staffed lifesaving facility or flagged area, as per the Exemptions for Life Saving Victoria vessels in Exemption Notice 1.
- Should vessels or persons not involved in the event enter the exclusion zone, the exemptions will be automatically suspended until the vessel or person has moved outside of the area.
- The above exemptions are active for Saturday 27 November 2021 from 8.00am to 3.00pm, to operators of vessels associated with the LSV VSRL Senior Surfboat Carnival within the exclusion zone waters.
- The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
Marine Safety Act 2010
NOTICE OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXCLUSION ZONE
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Port Campbell Bay hereby gives notice under section 208(2) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) that all persons and vessels not registered to take part in the Life Saving Victoria VSRL Senior Surf Boat Carnival are prohibited from entering and remaining in the following waters.
Waters of Port Campbell Bay– adjacent to the Life Saving Club clearly marked by flags on shore approximately 500 metres apart, and in the water by buoys extending up to 350 metres from shore.
The exclusion zone will be in effect from 8:00am to 3:00pm on Saturday 27 November 2021.
By order of Parks Victoria