Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption - LSV Junior Life Saving Carnival
LSV Junior Life Saving Carnival
Date/time of event:
6 February 2022
Point Leo Surf Lifesaving Club
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Western Port Bay and the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Life Saving Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the LSV Junior Life Saving Carnival at Point Leo Surf Lifesaving Club are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 meters of the water’s edge
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
4. Clause 5.3 (a)(i) of Schedule 5 – 5 knot speed restriction area – West Head to Somers
5. Clause 5.4 (c) of Schedule 5 – area prohibited to vessels at Point Leo Surf Beach
6. *Clause 1.2.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction of East Port Phillip
7. *Clause 1.2.9 (n) of Schedule 1 – areas prohibited to vessels at Mt Martha
8. *Clause 1.2.12 (b) of Schedule 1 - The master of a personal watercraft must not operate the personal watercraft: for any purpose other than transiting in the safest most direct course to, or from the shore and/or a boat ramp or berthing facility (including a jetty, pier or mooring), whilst operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zones.
Marine Safety Regulations 2012
9. Regulation 96(4) – vessel master must not operate on enclosed waters unless vessel equipped with PFD for each person onboard
10. Regulation 100(2) – person must wear a PFD of type specified at all times when underway on enclosed waters
11. Regulation 104(1) – vessel master must not operate the vessel unless persons onboard when underway wear a PFD.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 4 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
• Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 4 for the duration of the event.
• Masters of all vessels are only exempt from item 5 for the duration of the relevant event.
• *Competitors and rescue vessels (including PWC’s) are only exempt from items 6 - 8 during events, if held at back up location Mt Martha Beach
• Masters of personal watercraft (Jet Ski's) rescue vessels are only exempt from items 9 & 11 when retrieving or rescuing a person without a PFD from the water.
• Masters of IRB rescue vessels and personal watercraft (Jet Ski's) involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event.
• Should vessels or persons not involved in the event come within 50 metres of the Exclusion Zone, the exemptions will be automatically suspended until the vessel or person has moved outside of the area
• Mechanically powered LSV vessels are exempt from the carriage of specified safety equipment as per the Exemptions for Life Saving Victoria vessels in Exemption Notice 1, whilst operating within visual range of a staffed lifesaving facility.
• Operators and occupants of vessels propelled by paddle or oar are exempt from PFD wearing requirements and the carriage of specified safety equipment whilst within visual range of a staffed lifesaving facility or flagged area, as per the Exemptions for Life Saving Victoria vessels in Exemption Notice 1.
• The exemptions apply from 6:00am to 5:00pm on Sunday 6 February 2022 within the exclusion zone waters adjacent to Point Leo Surf Life Saving Club (back up location Mt Martha LSC), which will be clearly marked by signs and flags on the shore approximately 450 metres apart, and in the water by buoys extending up to 350 metres from shore.
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to
Marine Safety Act 2010
NOTICE OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXCLUSION ZONE
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Western Port Bay and the Local Port of Port Phillip hereby gives notice under section 208(2) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) that all persons and vessels not registered to take part in the LSV Junior Lifesaving Carnival are
prohibited from entering and remaining in the following waters.
Waters of Western Port Bay – adjacent to Point Leo Surf Life Saving Club (and if required, back up location waters of Port Phillip adjacent to Mt Martha LSC), which will be clearly marked by signs and flags on the shore approximately 450 metres apart, and in the water by buoys extending up to 350 metres from shore.
The exclusion zone will be in effect from 6:00am to 5:00pm on Sunday 6 February 2022.
By order of Parks Victoria