Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
Declaration of boating activity exemption - Victorian Junior Surf Series
Victorian Junior Surf Series
Date/time of event:
6:30 am to 6:30 pm, 19 – 20 March 2022
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Western Port Bay, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Surfing Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the Victorian Junior Surf Series event at Shoreham Beach are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 19(a) – an observer must be used when towing a person
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
3. Clause 5.6 of Schedule 5 – The waters of Western Port that extend 200 metres from the water’s edge seaward between Surfies Point and Honeysuckle Point, Shoreham are prohibited for the use of personal watercraft (PWC).
Marine Safety Regulations 2012
4. Regulation 95(a) – Master must not engage in towing unless an observer is on board;
5. Regulation 96(4) – Master requirement to carry PFD on vessel on enclosed waters for each person onboard (or being towed)
6. Regulation 100(2) – persons on vessels must wear a PFD of type specified at all times when underway on enclosed waters
7. Regulation 103 – a person being towed must wear PFD.
8. Regulation 104 – Master must not operate the vessel unless persons on board when underway, or being towed wear a PFD.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue PWC are only exempt from item 1 when within 50 metres of a competing surfer. They must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water or other vessels not associated with the event should they enter the event area.
- Masters of rescue PWC are only exempt from item 2 to 5 and 8 for the duration of the event.
- Competitors are only exempt from items 6 and 7 when competing in the event.
- All PWC operators must wear a personal floatation device at all times.
- The exemptions apply from 6:30am to 6:30pm on 19 – 20 March 2022 within the event area at Shoreham Beach.
- The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By order of Parks Victoria