Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
Declaration of boating activity exemption - Escape from Quarantine Rip Paddle
Escape from Quarantine Rip Paddle
Date/time of event:
8:30am to 11:30am on 19 March 2022
Port of Port Phillip Bay
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Port of Port Phillip Bay, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by The Rip Swim, persons and vessels involved in the Escape from Quarantine Rip Paddle event are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
2. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge
3. Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
4. Clauses 1.3.7 & 1.4.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction areas of South East and South West Port Phillip
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 3 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore and item 4 for the duration of the event.
- Competitors are only exempt from items 1 to 4 when competing in the events, and item 1 applies only when within 50 metres of another competing vessel.
- All participants involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
- In the event of any incident that results in hospitalisation or fatality involving a person or vessel directly or indirectly involved in the event, these must be immediately reported to Victoria Police. In the case of all other incidents, Maritime Safety Victoria requires an incident report within seven days and a finalised report within 30 days.
- The exemptions apply from 8:30am to 11:30am on 19 March 2022 within the waters between Sorrento beach and Queenscliff, via Point Lonsdale.
- The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By order of Parks Victoria