DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Ironman Australia, persons and vessels involved in the 2022 Ironman 70.3 Melbourne at St Kilda Beach are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
4. Clause 4(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a wharf, jetty, slipway, diving platform or boat ramp
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 1.1.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction area North East Port Phillip
6. Clause 1.1.9(d) of Schedule 1 – area prohibited to vessels at St Kilda beach.
7. Clause 1.1.12(a) of Schedule 1 - master of a personal watercraft must not operate the personal watercraft: for any purpose other than transiting in the safest most direct course to, or from the shore and/or a boat ramp or berthing facility (including a jetty, pier or mooring), whilst operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zones
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore, and item 6 for the duration of the event.
- Masters of personal watercraft rescue vessels are only exempt from item 7 for the duration of the event.
- Masters of rescue vessels and personal watercraft (Jet Ski’s) involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event and must have all prescribed safety equipment.
- The exemptions apply from 6:30am to 9:00am on Sunday 20 March 2022 to persons and vessels participating in the Ironman swim.
- The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.