Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
Declaration of boating activity exemption - 2022 Life Saving Victoria IRB Carnival
2022 Life Saving Victoria IRB Carnival
Date/time of event:
29 May 2022
Hampton Life Saving Club
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Life Saving Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the 2022 LSV IRB Carnival at Hampton are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
4. Clause 1.1.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction within 200 metres of the water’s edge – North East Port Phillip
5. Clause 1.1.9(g) of Schedule 1 – Area prohibited to vessels at Hampton beach
6. Clause 1.1.12(a) of Schedule 1 – the master of a personal watercraft must not operate the personal watercraft for any purpose other than transiting in the safest most direct course to, or from the shore and/or boat ramp or berthing facility (including a jetty, pier or mooring), whilst operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zone
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 4 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore, and item 5 for the duration of the event.
• Competitors are only exempt from items 1 to 5 when competing in the events, and items 1 & 2 apply only when within 50 metres of another competitor or competing vessel.
• Masters of personal watercraft rescue vessels are only exempt from item 6 for the duration of the event.
• Occupants of all vessels involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event.
• Should vessels or persons not involved in the event come within 50 metres of the Set Aside (made under regulation 11(1), Port Management (Local Ports) Regulations 2015), the exemptions will be automatically suspended until the vessel or person has moved outside of the area.
• Mechanically powered LSV vessels are exempt from the carriage of specified safety equipment as per the Exemptions for Life Saving Victoria vessels in Exemption Notice 1, whilst operating within visual range of a staffed lifesaving facility.
• The exemptions apply from 6:30am to 5:00pm on 29 May 2022 within the Set Aside waters adjacent to Hampton Life Saving Club.
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By order of Parks Victoria