DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Maribyrnong River upstream of Shepherd Bridge on Footscray Road, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Essendon Rowing Club, persons and vessels involved in the 2022 Saltwater Challenge Regatta are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
2. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge
3. Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
4. Clause 4.1 of Schedule 4 – 5 knot speed restriction on waters of the Maribyrnong River.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 4 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
• Competitors are only exempt from items 1 to 4 when competing in the events
• Occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment, including rescue vessels.
• The event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of the Exemption Notice made under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for rowing vessels to not carry or wear a personal flotation device.
• The exemptions apply from 8:00am to 4:00pm on Saturday 3 September 2022 on the waters of the Maribyrnong River – between Canning St Bridge and the Essendon Rowing Club.
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to
By order of Parks Victoria