DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Maribyrnong River upstream of Shepherd
Bridge on Footscray Road, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine
Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Paddle Victoria, persons and vessels involved in
the 2022 Paddle Victoria Marathon Club Series Race 8 are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge
4. Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 4.1 of Schedule 4 – 5 knot speed restriction on waters of the Maribyrnong River
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue
operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and
deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
• Competitors are only exempt from items 2 to 5 when competing in the events
• All occupants of vessels involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all
times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
• The exemptions apply from 10:00am to 1:00pm on Saturday 11 December 2022 on the
waters of the Maribyrnong River – Kensington Railway Bridge and Pipemakers Park
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the
application form and associated documentation are adhered to.