Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION AND NOTICE OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXCLUSION ZONE
Rip View Swim Classic
Date/time of event:
29 December 2022
Waters of Lonsdale Bay
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Point Lonsdale Surf Life Saving Club, persons and vessels involved in the Rip View Swim Classic are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
4. Clause 1.4.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction area of South West Port Phillip
5. Clause 1.4.12(c) of Schedule 1 – The master of a personal watercraft must not operate the personal watercraft: in an irregular riding manner, and for any purpose other than transiting in the safest most direct course to, or from the shore and/or a boat ramp or berthing facility (including a jetty, pier or mooring), whilst operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zones.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
· Masters of rescue vessels (including personal watercraft) are only exempt from 1 to 4 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
· Masters of rescue personal watercraft are only exempt from item 5 for the duration of the event.
· Masters of all rescue vessels and rescue craft involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event, and all rescue vessels (including personal watercraft) must have all prescribed safety equipment.
· The exemptions apply from 7.00am to 6.00pm on Thursday 29 December 2022 within the exclusion zone waters - Lonsdale Bay, between Santa Casa Beach, Queenscliff and Point Lonsdale front beach extending 200m-400m from shore following the coastline, as marked by buoys.
· The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
Marine Safety Act 2010
NOTICE OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXCLUSION ZONE
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip hereby gives notice under section 208(2) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) that all persons and vessels not registered to take part in the Point Lonsdale Surf Life Saving Club’s Rip View Swim Classic are prohibited from entering and remaining in the following waters.
Waters of Lonsdale Bay - between Santa Casa Beach, Queenscliff (38° 16.497’ S, 144° 39.163’ E) extending 200m from shore, following the coastline to the mid-point (38° 16.695’ S, 144° 37.378’ E) 300m from shore and to Point Lonsdale front beach (38° 17.202’ S, 144° 37.290’ E) extending 400m from shore, as marked by buoys.
The exclusion zone will be in effect from 7:00am to 6:00pm on Thursday 29 December 2022.
By Order of Parks Victoria
By order of Parks Victoria