Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
PUBLIC NOTICE DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Annual Rutherglen Regatta
Date/time of event:
7:00am - 7:00pm 13th January 2023 - 15th January 2023 (back up date 20-22nd January 2023)
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Lake Moodemere, makes the following
declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Murray Rowing Association, persons and vessels
involved in the Annual Rutherglen Regatta are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
2. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
3. Clause 129.1 of Schedule 129 – areas prohibited to vessels on the waters of Lake Moodemere
4. Clause 129.2 of Schedule 129 – exclusive use and special purpose area for vessels equipped
with engines used for propulsion
5. Clause 129.4 of Schedule 129 – 5-knot speed restriction zone for all waters except those
described in clause 129.2
6. Clause 129.5(a) of Schedule 129 – a person must not operate a vessel equipped with engines
used for propulsion at a speed of more than 5 knots in the waters described in clause 129.2, when
another vessel is operating at a speed of more than 5 knots in the area
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from items 1, 2 and 5 when competing in an
• Masters of competing vessels and rescue/umpire vessels are exempt from item 3, and
competing vessels from item 4, for the duration of the events.
• Masters of rescue/umpire vessels are only exempt from items 1, 2, 5 and 6 provided they do
not exceed the speed of a competing rowing vessel unless undertaking a rescue operation to
retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to
a place of safety on shore.
• The event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria
Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of the Exemption notice made
under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for rowing vessels to not carry
or wear a personal flotation device.
• Occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation device
at all times during the event.
• The exemptions apply from 7:00am – 7:00pm on Friday 13 January to Sunday 15 January
2023 (Back-up dates 20-22 January 2023) within the exclusion zone waters – Lake
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the
application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By Order of Parks Victoria
By order of Parks Victoria