Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
PUBLIC NOTICE DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Wyndham Harbour Offshore Superboat Race
Date/time of event:
25th – 26th February 2023
Wyndham Harbour – Port of Port Phillip
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Australian Offshore Powerboat Club, persons and vessels involved in the 2023 Wyndham Harbour Offshore Superboat Championship are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
Marine Safety Regulations 2012
Modification For the purpose of boating activity conducted by the Australian Offshore Powerboat Club “Schedule 1 types of personal floatation devices”, of the Marine Safety Regulations 2012 (MSR) is modified to include a personal floatation device (PFD) is a PFD type 1,2 or 3 if it complies with the current Australian Power boat association (APBA) rule book.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 and 2 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety.
• Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from item 2 for the duration of the event.
• Occupants of competing vessels must wear PFDs that comply with Rule 801 of the current APBA Rulebook.
• Persons on course official and rescue vessels involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event, excluding rescue divers, and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
• In the event of any incident that results in hospitalisation or fatality involving a person or vessel directly or indirectly involved in the event, these must be immediately reported to Victoria Police. In the case of all other incidents, Maritime Safety Victoria requires an incident report within 7 days and a finalised report within 30 days.
• The exemptions apply from 12:00pm to 3:00pm on Saturday 25 February 2023 & 10.00am to 2:00pm Sunday 26 February 2023 within the exclusion zone waters - Local Port of Port Phillip approximately 300 metres offshore of Wyndham Cove as marked by buoys.
• The exemptions and modifications apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By order of Parks Victoria