Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
PUBLIC NOTICE DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
BLSC Bathing Box Classic
Date/time of event:
5th February 2023
Port Phillip Bay – Brighton Beach
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the
following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Brighton Life Saving Club, persons and vessels
involved in the BLSC Bathing Box Classic 2023 are exempt from the following requirements
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010
4. Clause 1.1.7 of Schedule 1 - 5 knot speed restriction within 200 metres of the water’s edge –
North East Port Phillip
5. Clause 1.1.9(f) of Schedule 1 – Area prohibited to vessels at Brighton Beach (south of
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1-4 when undertaking a rescue
operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and
deliver them to a place of safety on shore, and item 5 for the duration of the event.
• Occupants of powered rescue vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation
device at all times during the event.
• The exemptions apply from 6.00am to 2.00pm on Sunday 5 February 2023 within waters of
the set aside area for the event at Brighton Beach (end of Dendy St, Brighton).
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the
application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By order of Parks Victoria