Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
PUBLIC NOTICE DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Ultra 24 Swim
Date/time of event:
18th Feburary 2023
Local Port of Port Phillip - Safety Beach through to Sorrento
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for [the Local Port of Port Phlilip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Swimwell, persons and vessels involved in the Ultra 24 Swim are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
4. Clause 4(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a wharf, jetty, slipway, diving platform or boat ramp
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 1.3.5 of Schedule 1 - Access Lane, area prohibited to bathers at Dromana West
6. Clause 1.3.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction of South East Port Phillip
7. Clause 1.3.9 (a)(c) of Schedule 1 – Area prohibited to vessels at Safety Beach and Rosebud
8. Clause 1.3.12 (a) of Schedule 1 – the master of a personal watercraft must not operate the personal watercraft for any purpose other than transiting in the safest most direct course to, or from the shore and/or boat ramp or berthing facility (including a jetty, pier or mooring), whilst operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zone
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
· Masters of powered rescue vessels (including personal watercraft (Jet Skis)) are only exempt from items 1 to 4 & 6 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
· Masters of all vessels and competitors are only exempt from item 5 for the duration of the event.
· Masters of all rescue and support paddle craft are only exempt from items 7 for the duration of the event.
· Masters of rescue personal watercraft (Jet Skis) are exempt from item 8 for the duration of the event.
· All occupants of rescue vessels, personal watercraft (Jet Skis) and support paddle craft involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
· The exemptions apply from 9:00am to 6:00pm on Saturday 18 February 2023 within the event course area: Waters or Port Phillip between Safety Beach and Sorrento.
· The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By order of Parks Victoria