Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption
2023 Victoria Police and Emergency Services Games (Open Water Swim)
Date/time of event:
29th March 2023 7:30am - 12:30pm
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Life Saving Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the 2023 Victoria Police and Emergency Services Games (Open Water Swim) are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
- Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
- Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
- Clause 1.1.7(a) of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction area at Sandridge.
- Clause 1.1.9(a) of Schedule 1 – area prohibited to vessels at Sandridge.
- Clause 1.2.12 (b) of Schedule 1 – The master of a personal watercraft must not operate the personal watercraft for any purpose other than transiting in the safest most direct course to, or from the shore and/or a boat ramp or berthing facility (including a jetty, pier or mooring), whilst operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zones.
- Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- • Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from 1-4 in the above list when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore, and 5 for the duration of the event.
- • Occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event.
- • Masters of personal watercraft (Jet Ski's) rescue vessels are only exempt from item 6 for the duration of the event.
- • Mechanically powered LSV vessels are exempt from the carriage of specified safety equipment as per the Exemptions for Life Saving Victoria vessels in Exemption Notice 1, whilst operating within visual range of a staffed lifesaving facility.
- • The above exemptions apply from 7:30 am to 12:30 am on Wednesday 29 March 2023 to persons and vessels participating in the 2023 Victoria Police and Emergency Services Games (Open Water Swim).
- • The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By Order of Parks Victoria
By order of Parks Victoria