Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption and Set aside
Ironman 70.3 Geelong and IronKids Geelong
Date/time of event:
Saturday 25th March 2023- Sunday 26th March 2023
CORIO BAY, EASTERN BEACH GEELONG, PORT OF PORT PHILLIP
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Ironman Australia, persons and vessels involved in the Ironman 70.3 Geelong & IronKids Geelong are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
4. Clause 4(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a wharf, jetty, slipway, diving platform or boat ramp
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 1.4.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction zones: waters of South West Port Phillip within 200 metres of the waters’ edge
6. Clause 1.4.12(c) of Schedule 1 - The master of a personal watercraft must not operate the personal watercraft: for any purpose other than transiting in the safest most direct course to, or from the shore and/or a boat ramp or berthing facility (including a jetty, pier or mooring), whilst operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zones.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of powered rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
• Masters of personal watercraft (Jet Ski) rescue vessels are only exempt from item 6 (irregular riding rule) for the duration of the event and must not exceed 5 knots when operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zones, unless undertaking a rescue operation.
• Occupants of powered vessels and personal watercraft involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
• The exemptions apply from 7:00am to 10:00am on Saturday 25 March 2023 and Sunday 26 March 2023 within the waters of the event area at Eastern Beach, Geelong.
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By Order of Parks Victoria
By order of Parks Victoria