Declaration of boating activity exemption - Dragon Boat Victoria Snake Run event - 27 February 2021
27 FEBRUARY 2021
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Maribyrnong River upstream of Shepherd Bridge on Footscray Road, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Dragon Boat Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the Snake Run event, are exempt from the following requirements:
Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water;
2. Clause 2(c) – 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel;
3. Clause 3(a) – 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge;
4. Clause 3(b) – 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure;
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010
5. Clause 4.1 of Schedule 4 – 5 knot speed restriction on waters of the Maribyrnong River upstream of Shepard Bridge.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from 2-5 in the above list when competing in the event.
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from 1-5 in the above list when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- Occupants of all vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment, including rescue vessels.
- The above exemptions apply for the duration of the event from 9:00am to 2:00pm on Saturday 27 February 2021 to the persons and vessels participating in the Snake Run, on the Maribyrnong River, from Essendon Rowing Club to Afton St Bridge, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
Dated: 26 February 2021