Declaration of boating activity exemption - Ironman Oceania - 1 March 2020
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Ironman Oceania, persons and vessels involved in the Melbourne Corporate Triathlon are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
- 1. Clause 2(a) – 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water;
- 2. Clause 2(c) – 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel;
- 3. Clause 4(a) - 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge;
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010
- 4. Clause 1.1.9(e) of Schedule 1 – Areas prohibited to vessels at Elwood.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of LSV rescue vessels are only exempt from item 4 in the above list during the times and dates for the Elwood event only.
- Masters of LSV rescue vessels must comply with the Marine Safety Act 2010 in respect to speed and distance requirements and are only exempt from items 1-3 in the above list when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- All participants on rescue vessels used in conjunction with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
- The above exemptions apply from 8:30am to 1:00pm on Sunday 1 March 2020 to the rescue service vessels participating in the Melbourne Corporate Triathlon, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
Dated: 26 February 2020