Declaration of boating activity exemption - Murray Rowing Association Annual Regatta
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Lake Moodemere, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by the Murray Rowing Association, persons and vessels involved in the Murray Rowing Association Annual Regatta are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(c) – 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel;
2. Clause 3(a) – 5 knots within 50 metres of the waters’ edge.
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
3. Clause 129.1 of Schedule 129 – areas prohibited to vessels on the waters of Lake Moodemere;
4. Clause 129.2 of Schedule 129 – exclusive use and special purpose area for vessels equipped with engines used for propulsion;
5. Clause 129.4 of Schedule 129 – 5-knot speed restriction zone for all waters except those described in clause 129.2;
6. Clause 129.5(a) of Schedule 129 – a person must not operate a vessel equipped with engines used for propulsion at a speed of more than 5 knots in the waters described in clause 129.2, when another vessel is operating at a speed of more than 5 knots in the area.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from items 1, 2 and 5 when competing in an event.
- Masters of competing vessels and rescue/umpire vessels are exempt from item 3, and competing vessels from item 4, for the duration of the events.
- Masters of rescue/umpire vessels are only exempt from items 1, 2, 5 and 6 provided they do not exceed the speed of a competing rowing vessel unless undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- The event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of the Exemption notice made under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for rowing vessels to not carry or wear a personal flotation device.
- The above exemptions apply from 6:00am to 7:00pm on Saturday 11 and Sunday 12 January 2020 to the persons and vessels participating in the Murray Rowing Association Annual Regatta at Lake Moodemere, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
- Occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event.
Marine Safety Act 2010
NOTICE OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXCLUSION ZONE
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Lake Moodemere hereby gives notice under section 208(2) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) that all the waters of Lake Moodemere are prohibited to all persons and vessels not registered to take part in the Murray Rowing Association Annual Regatta.
The exclusion zone will be in effect from 6:00am to 7:00pm on Friday 10, Saturday 11 and Sunday 12 January 2020.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA
Acting District Manager
Northern Rivers District