Declaration of boating activity exemption - Wakeboard Australia - March 2020
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Maribyrnong River upstream of Shepherd Bridge on Footscray Road, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Wakeboard Australia, persons and vessels involved in the Wakeboard Australia Nationals are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water;
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel;
3. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge;
4. Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure.
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 4.1 of Schedule 4 – 5 knot speed restriction on the Maribyrnong River;
6. Clause 4.2(a) of Schedule 4 – waters of the Maribyrnong River prohibited to swimmers.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue vessels and marshal vessels are only exempt from 1-5 in the above list when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- Masters of tow vessels are only exempt from 1, 2, 4 and 5 in the above list for the duration of the event, and 3 in the above list provided they do not exceed 5 knots within 10 metres of the water’s edge.
- Competitors are exempt from 6 in the above list during competition runs only.
- Competitors and all occupants of vessels used in conjunction with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event.
- The above exemptions apply from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm on Tuesday 10, Wednesday 11, Thursday 12 and Saturday 14 March, and 9:00 am to 7:00 pm on Friday 13 March to persons and vessels participating in the Wakeboard Australia Nationals on the Maribyrnong River, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.