Declaration of boating activity exemption - Williamstown Swimming and Life Saving Club - 23 Feb 2020
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Williamstown Swimming and Life Saving Club, persons and vessels involved in the Big Bay Swim and International Gay and Lesbian Aquatic Championship are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(c) – 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel;
2. Clause 2(c) – 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel;
3. Clause 4(a) – 5 knots within 200 metres of the waters’ edge;
4. Clause 4(b) – 5 knots within 50 metres of a wharf, jetty, slipway, diving platform or boat ramp except in an access lane;
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 1.5.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction zone within 200 metres of the waters’ edge at Williamstown Beach;
6. Clause 1.5.9(b) of Schedule 1 – area prohibited to vessels off Williamstown Beach.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore, and item 6 for the duration of the event.
All occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must always wear a personal flotation device during the event.
The above exemptions apply between 9:30am and 1:00pm on Sunday 23 February 2020 (back-up dates 1 March 2020 and 7 March 2020), to the persons and vessels participating in the Big Bay Swim and the International Gay and Lesbian Aquatic Championship, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By Order Parks Victoria
Dated:18 February 2020