Declaration of boating activity exemption and exclusion zone - Inter-Collegiate Regatta 2021
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Yarra River upstream of the port waters of the Port of Melbourne, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by The University of Melbourne, persons and vessels involved in the University of Melbourne Inter-Collegiate Regatta are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel
3. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of the water’s edge
4. Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of a fixed or floating structure
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 3.1 of Schedule 3 – 5 knot speed restriction on waters of the Yarra River;
Marine Safety Regulations 2012
6. Regulation 96(6) – requirement to carry a personal floatation device (PFD) for each person onboard on inland waters
7. Regulation 100(3) – person must wear a PFD of type specified at all times when underway on inland waters
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters and occupants of competing vessels are only exempt from 2 to 7 in the above for the duration of the event
- Masters of rescue and official vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 6 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- Occupants of all mechanically powered vessels involved with the event (support, rescue and official) must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
- The exemptions apply from 6:45am to 11:00am on Saturday 1st May 2021 within the exclusion zone waters – Yarra River from the rowing pavilion no 5 Boathouse Drive to the upstream end of Federation Wharf extending to Church St Bridge.
- The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
Marine Safety Act 2010
NOTICE OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXCLUSION ZONE
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Yarra River upstream of the port waters of the Port of Melbourne hereby gives notice under section 208(2) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) that all persons and vessels not registered to take part in the University of Melbourne Inter-Collegiate Regatta are prohibited from entering and remaining in the following waters.
Waters of Yarra River– from the rowing pavilion no 5 Boathouse Drive to the upstream end of Federation Wharf extending to Church Street Bridge.
The exclusion zone will be in effect from 6:45am to 11:00am on Saturday 1st May 2021.